The goal of the one day Venepuncture and Cannulation (V&C) workshop programme is to produce a practitioner who is capable and competent, in performing venepuncture and intravenous cannulation in a safe manner for both the patient and client in the workplace . This is an 8 hour workshop completed in one sitting with Category 1 An Bord Altranais Approval.
phlebotomy training phlebotomy courses phlebotomist courses
The aim of this one-day workshop is to extend, and enhance the knowledge of Venepuncture and Cannulation skills for registered nurses.
The objectives of the programme are that each participant will:
- Be aware of the risks of blood borne viruses.
- Understand the importance of hand hygiene, and skin decontamination.
- Identify anatomical structures of the vascular system, and select appropriate sites.
- Develop skills in venepuncture, and intravenous cannulation techniques.
- Adhere to standards on Infection Prevention & Control.
- Understand the correct waste disposal of sharps.
- Correct use of equipment.
- Understand Inoculation injury protocols.
Methods of Learning:
- Instructor facilitated.
- Powerpoint Presentation.
- Scenario cases.
- Powerpoint Slides Handouts.
- MCQ examination to be completed in pre-course elearning module.
- Can be completed either in-house or on-site.
Contents of the One Day Workshop Programme:
- Accountability of registered nurses.
- Indications, Contraindications and Complications.
- Anatomy & Physiology of Veins.
- Vein Selection.
- Demonstration of Venepuncture & Cannulation Techniques and Practice Demonstrations.
Summary of Venepuncture & Cannulation Requirements:
- The Venepuncture & Cannulation Workshop provides the candidate with the principles and operation of venepuncture and cannulation in adults, it’s a requirement to attend for the full workshop day.
- An online e-learning module component must be completed prior to attending the workshop. All details will be emailed to candidates using email address provided prior to the start date.
- As part of the post workshop training process, each candidate will have to be assessed by a competent assessor in the workplace performing venepuncture & cannulation skills in conjunction with local policy. The clinical assessor must sign that the person is proficient to undertake venepuncture and cannulation skills, in conjunction with local hospital policy or GP policy.
- A full 8 hour workshop day will be required
- A maximum of 10/12 candidates will be taken on the workshop
- A Category 1 An Bord Altranais Approved Course, valid for two years. Hibernian Healthcare Certificate of Attendance
Upcoming Event Dates:
New training dates will be available from January 2016
Call to book your place now or to find out further information.
Find Out More