This programme forms a core part of the Occupational First Aid Instructor Course. The BLS Instructor / Cardiac First Responder Instructor Programme can be taught as a standalone Programme and is valid with the Irish Heart Foundation (IHF) and American Heart Association (AHA) for two years.
On successful completion of the Basic Life Support Instructor/ Cardiac First Responder InstructorProgramme and subsequent student instructor monitoring, the successful instructor will be able to teach the following Irish Heart Foundation (IHF)/ American Heart Associationcourses:
- All Heartsaver Programmes (H.S.)
- H.S. Adult Module
- H.S. Paediatric Module
- H.S. Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Module
- Basic Life Support Healthcare Providers Course ( BLS HCP)
- CPR for Family and Friends
- Cardiac First Responder (CFR) – Community
Who Should Attend the Programme:
- Healthcare professionals who want to teach Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) within the community or basic life support to healthcare professional level.
By the end of this two day programme the successful candidates will be able to teach:
- The lay rescuer adult, child & infant Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- The lay rescuer how to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- How to treat an adult, child and infant victim of choking
to IHF, AHA & PHECC guidelines
- The Successful Candidates will be qualified to teach CPR and AED at layperson level
- BLS HCP Course to healthcare professional level using bag mask valve devices
- Participants will be required to have a BLS HCP Programme completed and in-date (including adult, infant and child modules) as a pre-requisite to attend the BLS Instructor Programme. The BLS HCP Certificate must be valid and be presently in date. If the BLS HCP Certificate has expired, Hibernian Healthcare will facilitate candidates and run a Full BLS HCP Programme at a discounted price prior to theprogramme in our premises.
- Participants will be required to complete a pre-programme core instructor module from the Irish Heart Foundation. This module will be a 6-8 hour interactive module which is completed at you own pace on your home computer. When the module is fully complete, a certificate of completion will have to be printed and brought to the training co-ordinator on the training day. This required pre-programme module will be posted out to each participant prior to the start date of the programme to be complete.
Post Programme Certification Requirements:
- Once the BLS HCP/Cardiac First Responder Instructor Programme is successfully completed, the new Basic Life Support Instructor candidate must successfully demonstrate their teaching skills while instructing on a BLS HCP Programme.
- A participant must be observe, assist on a training course and finally be monitored instructing a course to comply with IHF standards.
- Monitoring must be done within 90 days of completing the instructor programme.The BLS Instructor candidate instructor monitoring will be organised by Hibernian Healthcare as part of the course fee (in the greater Dublin area. Travel expenses may be charged for longer journeys)
- Upon successful completion and monitoring, Candidates will be awarded the Irish Heart Foundation / Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council Dual Instructor Certification at BLS Instructor level.
- This certification is valid for 2 years. Within this time the BLS Instructor must teach at least 4 courses. At the end of the 2 years, they must have their core competencies re-assessed appropriately.
Find Out More